Whey protein as you know it has not always been that way. Just like a lot of other things we enjoy now, whey protein was actually discovered ‘accidentally’.
Back in 1749, there was a patient who was impossible to heal according to the doctors. They gave up on him, so he embarked on a journey to the Swiss mountain, there was a village there called Gais. There, he was healed just by drinking whey on a daily basis. Word spread and then soon after, spas and wellness centers sprouted all across Europe, offering whey as one if their healing ingredients. This is where the studies and development of whey came from.
What is Whey Protein?
Milk has two kinds of protein, whey and casein. These two can be separated. Whey in itself is complete with protein and all 9 essential amino acids that you need. It is also low in lactose content making it easy for people who are lactose intolerant to take it.
People got used to using it as a supplement of exercise and working out. Whey greatly improves muscle formation and lean tissue mass growth, making it a perfect add on to workouts.
Best Tasting Whey Protein Powder
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
Natural Force® Organic Whey Protein Powder
- Ranked No. 1: This protein powder mix is ranked as No. 1 best tasting whey protein powder in Amazon by its actual users.
- USDA Organic Whey Protein Powder: This is sourced exclusively from family-owned farms in California, no mass production and machinery manufacturing involved.
- Certified Paleo Protein: This is the only whey protein powder that is certified by Paleo Foundation.
- Raw grass fed protein.
- It tastes unbelievably great as a standalone drink or when mixed with other drinks.
- Only 13-15 servings per pack.
- Difficult to mix if you put the powder before the liquid.
Jay Robb - Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate Powder
- Best aid for weight loss: This whey protein by Jay Robb is best taken while trying to lose weight. Do not wait for the weight to drop.
- Build lean muscles: Protein helps turn on protein synthesis, making your body build muscles faster and healthier.
- Junk-free: This whey protein mix is rBGH free and non-GMO with no gluten.
- Outrageously delicious.
- Easy to mix and dissolve.
- May cause palpitations and allergies.
BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder - Chocolate Milkshake
- Great nutrient profile: It has 22g of protein, 15g of carbs and it includes a mix of casein and whey. Which is good if you are used to taking both in two different products.
- Tastes pretty good: The flavor of this whey protein mix does not have a gritty after taste and it does not have artificial sweeteners which could be a problem to some.
- Easy to mix: The mix itself dissolves easily with water, or any shake that you want to mix it with.
- 28 servings per order.
- No chalk feeling after taste.
- Might cause gastro intestinal distress.
- Too many artificial flavorings.
Isopure Whey Protein Isolate
- Pure protein: This whey protein mix is made up of pure protein and zero carbs. It only has 110 calories making it a perfect choice.
- Micro Filtrated: Made with a complete microfiltration process making it the only completely clear milk when dissolved in water.
- Keeps you full for longer: If you are trying to keep your hunger in check, this is perfect as it helps you feel full for longer. Sometimes even all throughout the day.
- No sickly-sweet taste
- No flavor, it makes it perfect to mix with any drink you want.
- Only 7 servings
- Insoluble minerals make it cloudy
Whey Protein Powder Isolate by BulkSupplements
- Burn and Bulk Fast: Supplement your diet with this whey protein to be able to build muscles fast and to lose fat fast.
- Speed Up Recovery: Proven to be able to repair damaged tissues and muscles faster, enabling you to go back to the gym sooner.
- Purely USA Made: Lab-tested, packed and made in the USA.
- Tastes subtle, clean and good.
- Easily mixes with everything.
- Bag is hard to close.
- May cause bloating.
How to Choose Best Whey Protein
Whey protein comes in three types, which are:
- WPC or Whey Protein Concentrate: This is the cheapest of the three and is made up of lesser protein compared to the others.
- WPI or Whey Protein Isolate: Has about 95% of its weight that comes from protein. It has minimal fat and lactose.
- WPH or Whey Protein Hydrolysate: This is the most expensive of the three, about 99% of its weight comes from pure protein.
The best way to consume whey protein is right after an intense workout, to make way for the tiring activity and to supplement your body with the nutrients it needs.
In choosing the best whey protein powder for you, you have to consider a lot of things. Most especially because you are taking this in, and anything that you eat can play a vital role with the way your body functions.Here are some factors to consider when trying to choose the best whey protein powder for you.
1. Weight loss whey protein: This is a primary consideration if you want to lose weight, you have to be careful to choose the whey protein that will help you achieve that.
2. Muscle gain: On the other hand, if you want to gain muscles, there are also brands of whey protein powder that will help you with that.
3. Vegan or vegetarian: For those who are vegetarians or vegans, you should choose whey protein powders that are not milk-based. Choose those that have 100% plant proteins instead.
4. Low-sugar: If you have diabetes, you might want to consider choosing low-sugar whey protein powders.
5. Low-protein: For people with kidney problems, you must choose low protein powders because your kidneys won’t be able to tolerate a great deal of protein at one go.
6. Budget: Most of all, you have to stick to your budget when choosing the right protein powder for you. It does not make sense if you buy something expensive and then you won’t be able to continue it after one can.
Is Whey Protein Good for You?
In order to emphasize how good whey protein is for you, here are some of the benefits you can get if you drink it:
- Lose fat and preserve your muscles: Drinking whey protein regularly will help you lose significant fats and at the same time help you preserve your muscle faster.
- Reduce your hunger: Drinking whey protein regularly will help you get off unhealthy food as it keeps you full longer and you won’t have to give in to unhealthy cravings.
- Fight cancer: Yes, you read that right. Numerous studies proved that drinking whey protein regularly can help fight the most common cancer specifically prostate and colon.
Side Effects of Whey Protein
You know what they say, too much of a good thing can be bad. This also goes with whey protein. No matter how positive its effects are, there will still be some side effects. But if these side effects are tolerable to you, then go ahead and continue.
Digestive Issues: This is the most common issue, especially if you don’t consider the factors before buying.
Gas: For proteins to be broken down properly, it needs a lot of stomach acids. For people whose intestinal tract is too alkaline, the protein cannot be broken down completely. It will putrefy, causing excessive stomach gas
Bloating: Bloating is the most common of whey protein's side effect. The cause is basically the proteins not properly broken down in our stomach.
Headaches: If you have an allergy to whey, it is most probable that you will suffer from headaches when you take this protein.
Cramps: Cramps may be experienced when you take whey protein due to mineral imbalance, but if you think that the pain is tolerable and the advantages outweighs the side effects, then you may continue.
Fatigue: Due to the digestion problems that some people experience when taking whey protein, they also go through adverse effects like fatigue, due mainly to the abnormal breakdown of the protein they consume.
Studies show that these side effects are brought by the ingredients and sweeteners that come with your whey protein mixes and not from whey protein itself. So, a good solution to this is to find out what ingredient in your mix is making you feel this, and look for another alternative.
I hope I have shed some light on your whey protein questions with this article. If you ask me, my personal choice for the best whey protein in the list and what I will recommend for you to try is the BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder. It has protein and 15g carbs which is not too high and not too low. It also comes with more servings and does not leave a gritty after taste when you drink it.
Remember, drinking whey protein everyday will not automatically make you reach your goals. Combine this with your hard work and workouts and see yourself reach your goals sooner.