If you are new to working out or weightlifting, you probably are still overwhelmed with the equipment and outfit that you have to wear and use. What with the gloves, shoes, and all other sorts of protection?
After all that, here is another piece of gear that they say you have to wear. Depending on who you ask, wearing the best weight lifting belt can help you or not.
For example, if you ask powerlifters, they’ll tell you how important weight lifting belts are, while CrossFitters are proud that they do not wear belts.
And since you are here in the search for the best weight lifting belts in the market, I will give you the rundown of the best ones that you can choose from.
Top 5 Best Weight Lifting Belts
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
Weight Lifting Belts Reviews
Weight Lifting Belt Purpose
In the introduction of this article, I mentioned how you will get a different answer depending on who you ask if you want to know if you should wear a weightlifting belt. So, what we will do is that I’ll give you the benefits of wearing one, and let you decide if you need to wear one.
1. Provide a wall for your abdomen: When you lift weights, belts provide a wall for the abdomen to put a force on. Without a belt, your abdomen will have no limit and your spine will get all the stress of the lift.
2. Take care of your spine: Making it a habit to wear belts when you lift will lessen the amount of your spinal flexion where your spine bends forward, spinal extension where your spine bends backward and lateral flexion where your spine bends sideways.
3. Make you perform better: According to studies, a good weightlifting belt will help increase your power, your muscle growth and even your strength.
When To Use Weight Lifting Belt
Use a weight lifting belt during these exercises:
- Squats: When you regularly do exercise like squatting, wearing a belt can significantly raise your maximum number of rep to 15%-20%.
- Deadlifts: The same as with squats, it is not necessarily needed, but if you do it regularly, you might consider wearing belts for it.
- Presses: This is the best time to wear belts, when you do presses. The belt acts as a secondary wall for your abs at the same time protecting your back.
Last note, do not wear belts in exercises that you do while sitting and lying down. Also, belts are not meant to be used for warm ups. Save them for the actual exercise.
How To Wear Weight Lifting Belt
Before we proceed with this tip, it is best that we clear that weight lifting belts are not use to primarily protect your spine. Its main purpose is to provide a wall for your abdomen, protecting your spine in the process.
Having said that, here are the steps on how to properly wear your weight lifting belt.
1. Position the belt against your lower back
2. Take a deep breath with your abdomen, not your chest.
3. Exhale, this will expand your abdomen and then you can close and secure the belt.
How To Choose The Best Weightlifting Belt
I know I gave you a list of 5 of the best weightlifting belts, but how do you know which one is the right one for you? Before you decide, let’s take a look on the kinds of belt that you will come across.
1. Powerlifting belts: These belts is designed for heavy lifting, they are usually made of heavy duty materials, stiff and are of the same with all around.
2. Velcro belts: You guessed it, these belts are secured only by Velcro and is not designed for intense lifting.
3. Traditional belts: These are also made of sturdy materials but the width all around the belt vary, it usually has a thicker support at the back than that of the front.
When you go to buy weightlifting belt, consider the lifting that you are going to do. Determine what the best support and closure will be good for the intensity of your workout.
In looking for the best weightlifting belt for you, you have to remember that it will still depend on what you will perform with it.
For me, the best weight lifting belt in this list is Nike Structured Weightlifting Belt. Aside from having a steel roller buckle that secures the belt in place, it has plastic inserts and a perforated back to ensure that your body has the proper ventilation while lifting.
Lastly, take note that in everything you do, your dedication will always dictate your success.