Doing yoga at a studio and having your own yoga instructor might be the best way to practice and learn yoga. However, practicing at home can be convenient at times, especially if your ‘day-to-day’ schedule keeps you from being able to go to a yoga studio.
Besides, practicing yoga at home is more comfortable-- especially if it’s your first time and you don’t want anyone to see some of your awkward poses, or see you not being able to carry out some yoga positions properly. I know, right?
Quest To Find Best Yoga DVD For Beginners You Should Own
Why Do Yoga at Home?
The feeling of embarrassment for not being able to keep up is common when you’re new to yoga. The good thing is you can now start practicing yoga at home -- at your own pace and at your own time.
- Watching yoga videos online or from a DVD could definitely give you advanced knowledge and help you learn how yoga positions are done properly.
- With yoga videos, you can get started with your yoga practice at ease and with full privacy at your own home.
Are you new to yoga? No worries, we’ve got you covered! Here’s our yoga DVD for beginners reviews to help you pick the best yoga DVD for a newbie like you. Check out and start paving your way to wellness!
Finding Best Yoga DVD for Beginners
Yoga Stretch for Beginners and Beyond
Overall Rating: 4.7/5 Stars
5 Stars (83%), 4 Stars (12%), 3 Stars (4%), 2 Stars (1%)
- Includes two complete, yoga-inspired workouts to strengthen and tone your body.
- Yoga stretch routines for beginners – with options to play advanced session.
- 30-minute AM and PM workout practices for the body.
Develop a strong foundation of body strength, stamina, and flexibility with Yoga Stretch DVD with Jessica Smith. Jessica Smith is a certified yoga instructor, trainer, and wellness coach with various certifications; she is the person behind the popular YouTube channel ‘JessicaSmithTV.'
Yoga Stretch for Beginners & Beyond DVD gathered a lot of good reviews from yoga beginners online and is considered to be the best yoga DVD for beginners out there. But just like the other yoga DVD’s on the market today, this too has some minor negative features as well. Let’s try to check it out!
- Simple workouts that can both lengthen, strengthen, and tone the body.
- Gentle and slow-paced workouts.
- Filmed outdoors with gorgeous setting.
- Soothing music with classical tunes, as well as relaxing and calypso-style guitar.
- Has beginner, intermediate, and advanced yoga poses fit for all.
- Explanation for every pose is not so detailed.
Yoga For Beginners: Poses for Strength, Flexibility and Relaxation DVD
Overall Rating: 4.4/5 Stars
5 Stars (64%), 4 Stars (23%), 3 Stars (8%), 2 Stars (2%), 1 Star (3%)
- Consists of warm-up sequence, building awareness of your breath, body, and mind.
- Consists of standing poses to increase flexibility and strength.
- Consists of sitting poses for firmer and toner leg muscles.
- Has restorative yoga practices to reduce stress and cultivate balance.
Yoga for Beginners with Kanta Barrios is a complete introduction to Yoga practice and is designed to help you build strength, flexibility, and improve your sense of well-being and your general health. Kanta Barrios is a certified yoga instructor and is licensed to teach Anusara Yoga and Yoga Therapeutics.
This DVD will guide you on a safe and effective yoga program, providing you with an effective yet non-threatening way to get in shape while cultivating balance, strength, and health.
- Clearly explained and demonstrated, perfect for beginners.
- Warm-up and yoga routines are properly timed.
- Relaxing, gentle, and mindful practices.
- Beginner’s pace, but not boring.
- Friendly poses, best yoga DVD for beginners of any age.
- Simple, low-budget production but audio quality is fine.
- Setting isn’t remarkable unlike other Yoga videos with fancy beach setting.
Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners DVD
Overall Rating: 4.3/5 Stars
5 Stars (61%), 4 Stars (19%), 3 Stars (10%), 2 Stars (5%), 1 Star (5%)
- Two full-length yoga workouts for beginners.
- Tips and secrets to overcoming the most yoga mistakes.
- On-screen pose training for perfect form.
- Audio selection for each program – full or pose only instruction.
- Best beginner yoga DVD for who want to focus more on toned body muscles and better posture.
Rodney Yee is an acclaimed yoga instructor who has been practicing yoga for 30 years. This yoga DVD will help you center your mind and improve your balance, flexibility, and posture while increasing your familiarity and comfort with the yoga positions.
Rodney Yee's Yoga DVD has a vigorous 20-minute morning workout to energize your body and awaken your mind, while a 15-minute evening workout to relax your muscles and restore your body. Yoga for Beginners by Rodney Lee received positive review online.
- Includes a detailed yoga training session perfectly fit for beginners.
- Very simple yoga positions.
- It has a discussion of common mistakes for beginners to avoid.
- Emphasizes more on breathing and mental clarity for a typical and traditional yoga experience.
- Peaceful beach setting and subdued background music.
- Option to select audio – either music or pose only narration or full instruction with some words of encouragement.
- The pace is too fast, with speedy transitions.
- Fairly short sessions.
- Some awkward camera angle.
Yoga For Every Body DVD
Overall Rating: 4.2/5 Stars
5 Stars (69%), 4 Stars (12%), 3 Stars (6%), 2 Stars (8%), 1 Star (5%)
- Has AM and PM practices.
- Includes a lot of strength building routines.
- Routines for back and neck pains, as well as headaches.
- Stress Relief and relaxation.
This DVD Yoga for Every Body with JJ Gormley received a lot of positive reviews online. Whether you’re a beginner or advanced yoga student, this DVD will allow you to experience the power, joy, and serenity of yoga.
It has over 35 routines which range from 15 to 75 minutes. This beginner yoga DVD is suitable for who want to experience a number of yoga routines in just a few minutes.
- Interactive menus; has the option to skip sessions forward and backward easily.
- Several yoga workouts both for beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.
- Lots of workouts and routines to choose from.
- Has detailed categories for each routine (body, aches, pain, etc.).
- Modifications to suit your needs.
- No particular flow to the routines.
- Speedy transition from one pose to another.
- Instructor is too fast and is very slow in some parts.
- Dull setting and presentation.
Yoga For Every Body DVD
Overall Rating: 4.2/5 Stars
5 Stars (57%), 4 Stars (21%), 3 Stars (10%), 2 Stars (7%), 1 Star (5%)
- Easy-to-perform routines ranging from 20-60 minutes.
- Focuses on flexibility and strength.
- Relaxing and helpful routines.
Barbara Benagh is a renowned yoga instructor and taught yoga for 42 years. Barbara is a regular article contributor to Yoga Journal Magazine and has several yoga DVDs released.
This DVD contains 8 different routines that will help improve balance and build strength, flexibility, and calmness. It is perfectly designed for yogis over 50. Furthermore, the yoga practices performed in this DVD will help you feel healthier, more energized, and fit.
Yoga over 50 DVD has gathered positive reviews from several yogis online and has been considered the best yoga DVD for beginners aged 50’s and up.
- Detailed explanation between yoga poses.
- Easy to follow and understand.
- Have friendly routines for osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Goes at a pace where over 50’s and up can keep up with.
- Too slow-paced for someone who has done yoga once or twice before.
- No option to play individual sections.
How to Choose the Best Yoga DVD for Beginners?
This can be a daunting task. While there are a lot of DVD’s claiming to be the best beginners yoga DVD online, here are a few things you should consider when choosing a yoga DVD so you can get the most benefit out of it:
- It should be easy to understand and in a beginner-centered manner.
- Excellent teaching quality.
- Have well-qualified instructors.
- Easy-to-use interactive DVD menus.
If you don't care much about the setting of the DVD, but more on the quality and strength of the poses, then Kanta Barrios' Yoga DVD might suit you well. But for adults over 50 who still aim to have a fit and healthy body, then Barbara Benagh over 50 DVD is a good start.
Determining which style of yoga suits you best and what you want to achieve while doing it will also help you pick the right DVD. Remember that it’s okay to skip the studio and practice yoga at home, as long you have the best yoga DVD for beginners and have the right yoga tools at your disposal.